The Salvation Army began in London in 1865.
The Salvation Army didn’t become The Salvation Army until William Booth, its founder, adopted the name in 1878.
By 1880 The Salvation Army was working in the U.S., Europe, India, Australia and South America.
The first Salvation Army missionary hospital opened in 1901.
During World War II, The Salvation Army led the formation of the national United Service Organization in 1941. USO was created to serve the religious, spiritual and educational needs of the men and women in the armed forces.
The Salvation Army serves people in 102 countries.
The Salvation Army has over 9,600 centers in the USA.
Salvation Army mobile canteens bring food, clothing, blankets and medical supplies to disaster locations. It also helps reunite families and help those in need find emergency shelter.
The Salvation Army provides over 450,000 meals annually in the Western Division alone. This is accomplished through more than 40 adult meal, food pantry, residential care and youth meal programs.
That in 2012, volunteers across the Omaha/Council Bluffs area donated over 97,000 hours of their time supporting various Salvation Army programs!